Sunday, February 20, 2011

Free hug

As I went to the bus stop in the morning, I saw a girl all in black standing by the stop -- looked pretty poor. She lifted up a small black board in front of her with some words as I went close by. I didn't pay attention thinking it might be some Dutch protest.

3 mins later, I found her lift up the little black board to everybody who possibly pass by. "Maybe she needs some help." That's my first impression.

So I decided to go closer and ask what kind help she needs. Then I was surprised to see the two big words on her small board:"Free Hug." She is offering hugs! Then she started to talk with me about free hug activities..."of course, for so many times I saw free hugs video on Youtube." I didn't let her finish.

We then gave each other a tight hug.

She went on the tram with me. From her words I started to know that she is a high school students, who is always bullied as she growing up: because she is not so good-looking, with some problems of her eyes. (But she got beautiful smile!). The real thing inspired me is she doesn't feel bad about herself as what we would thought, instead she tried to say hello to people (strangers) at school, and even decide to walk onto street to offer free hugs to passengers, in regardless of how other people think of her back.

I'm also a bit surprised to listen to her saying about people gave her positive feedback as she greets them on the street --that something would barely happen in China. People will be so busy to think of her just wanting to cheat money out of compassion.

It's the courage from this poor-looking girl that makes me feel happy for the rest of the day.

I also kept her mobile number :)

No comments:

Post a Comment