Friday, September 2, 2011

Few thoughts

Since i came to the netherlands, i have always been thinking the differences between the “foreign“ culture and chinese culture. From my part time work, my studies and many interesting or nonsense talks with friends...the most distinctive differences would be “stand up for my rights“.

Last week I went with fancy nancy to shoe shop. In front of a same pair of cute heels which do not match any of our size, we made rather different decision. She bought the shoe and determine to return them if she doesnt feel comfortble after a week. I decided just not to buy them, because i feel hard to ask for return. Today also my dutch friend tells me while he works with chinese engineers in china, he founds them always cannot make decisions. Insdead, they prefer to obey what the leader says. Same as few days ago when i attend a dutch culture lecture, more than half of the time was devoted on the assertiveness of dutch people. One important message is it is your own right to defend/present your opion, also to agree/disagree with other people.

From this point of view, i was weak. Sometimes i dont really pay attention of what rights do i have. Of course i lose the chance to self defense. Partly because i come from a shy family, also i guess the chinese are confused with their rights by the communist party. You dont really know what is your rights, and how to use them. But here at least in nl, you need to stand up for rights for everything, like a part of everyday life. Comprise is sad, unless it aims a winwin situation. Respections based on rights.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Niki,

    Quite interesting post. U are certainly great observer.

    And if you can write this line "......chinese....communist party"...then you certainly not Shy..any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I certainly don't know why I wrote this blog if I do that line.

      Delete